25 April 2010

OK! So it's another lemon!

SOLD

This is quite a big one for me 40 x 30 cms (about 16 x 12 inches) and it is painted in a stretched cotton canvas that I have had for ages and wasn't sure what to put on it.
I have also been experimenting with different mediums and have found one that is wonderful to paint with. I am loving it at the moment and will keep you posted in case it goes disastrously wrong somehow ;-)
Here is the recipe if you are interested:
1 part stand oil (W&N)
2 parts purified linseed (Holbein)
2 parts Venetian turpentine (Talens) - this is a balsam and looks like stand oil
2 parts pure gum turpentine and 5% cobalt siccative (Roberson).

I had been trying a Dammar varnish mix but didn't like it as it was too tacky for me.
The cobalt dryer is poisonous so please take extra care if you decide to try this mix (I needed it so I could get back to work on the paintings the next day - only the W&N ivory black and cadmiums took more than 24 hours to dry but you will have to experiment).
I have always used Liquin Original up to now, but I am just experimenting for that 'perfect' medium.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I enjoy the softness of the lemon's reflection and dropped shadow. The tangerine piece is incredible too Paul, sculptural! Cobalt siccative... what would I do without it.
    Congratulations for the nice tribute to your work on Neil's blog, so well deserved. Have a great sunday!
    -Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful piece indeed Paul, but did I read correctly? COTTON CANVAS?? No....surely I need new glasses.
    You do like yer lemons...and you do them well. Play to your strengths we don't mind even if it is on cotton canvas. LOL
    All the best
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the play of steel against lemon, lemon against steel etc, beautifully captured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul,
    I love the old pot and all its imperfections, when looking at it I had sudden momories of both my grandmas! (er, not because of the imperfections but for the things they had at home!) And I too love the reflections of the knife on the lemons...
    Warm regards,
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful work. The lemons are superb. I love the chips in the enamel pot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul!

    Somehow I don't see you painting anything that could go wrong.

    Another spectacular still life from you!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's rather modern, but have you considered trying Liquin for medium? It gives a lovely even finish and your paint should be dry to the touch overnight (well, perhaps a bit more if you are in a humid region of the country).

    If I could paint lemons as you do, I'd be having lemonade everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As R said. Have you tried liquin. I have been using the thinned version of it[not my own process of thinning by adding turpentine]
    Winsor Newton has a thinned version that I am really likeing. Just wondering your thoughts on that as compared to what you are doing?
    Wonderful piece, Paul. But as earlier said. Can we expect anything less?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you guys :-)
    I guess I had better add this note:
    I have always used Liquin Original (all my paintings to this point are done with it ;-) but I just decided to try and find my ideal medium as Liquin is a bit too 'greasy' when working wet in wet and it always bugged me whereas the balsam/linseed mix is a joy but has other pitfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your work in toto.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your paintings are amazingly beautiful Paul!
    The knife reflecting the lemons, the chipped jar and the texture in the wooden table is just superb!
    Your work leaves me speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your work, it's beautiful. I was wondering about this new medium you are using, does it make the paint dry with a lot of shine? I was experimenting too and had a Stand Oil, Turp., and Linseed oil that was so shiny it was hard to photograph.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Paul, I've just been having a looksie, the paintings are stunning! I really like the juxtaposition of the hard and soft theme that runs through your work.

    ReplyDelete